PENDER COUNTY – The Pender County Office of Emergency Management (EOC) announced four shelters will open in preparation for Hurricane Florence.
Burgaw Middle School will open Tuesday, Sept. 11, at 4 p.m.
Cape Fear Middle School, Malpass Corners Elementary, and Topsail Elementary will open Wednesday, Sept.12, at 8 a.m.
“We are working with Pender County Emergency crews, Pender County Health Department, and the American Red Cross to open four shelters during Hurricane Florence,” said Tom Collins, Pender County Emergency Manager.
“Burgaw Middle School is the pet-friendly shelter,” said Collins.
Residents who bring their pets will need to stay in the Burgaw Middle School shelter. Pet owners are required to present rabies vaccination records. A limited supply of vaccinations will be available at a cost of $5 per pet. Residents need to bring pet food and water.
Here’s a suggested list of items to bring to a shelter checklist:
- Clothing for 3-7 days
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- Food and medication for service animal
- Daily toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, soap, washcloth, feminine hygiene products)
- Special dietary foods, infant formula
- Identification for each family member
- 7-day supply of medicine in the original bottles if possible
- Cell phone with charger
- Books, games and cards
- Family/friend/caretaker’s emergency contact information
- Written list of all medications with doctors’ names and phone numbers
- Glasses, dentures, hearing aids
- Medical equipment used on a daily basis (wheelchair, walker, cane, oxygen, catheters, etc.)
- Extra batteries needed for any medical equipment
- Adult diapers or children’s diapers and wipes.
Pender County Emergency Management will post updates on the Facebook page at facebook.com/penderem and on the website http://www.penderem.com. If you need assistance call the EM office at 910- 259-1210.