PENDER COUNTY – The Pender County Office of Emergency Management (EOC) announced three shelters will open in preparation for Hurricane Dorian. Shelters will open Wednesday, Sept. 4, at 2 p.m.
Cape Fear Middle School, Malpass Corners Elementary, and Topsail Elementary will open Wednesday, Sept.4, at 2 p.m.
“We are working with Pender County Emergency crews, Pender County Health and Human Services, and the American Red Cross to open three shelters during Hurricane Dorian,” said Tom Collins, Pender County Emergency Manager.
“Cape Fear Middle School is the pet-friendly shelter,” said Collins.
Residents who are listed on the special-needs registry should contact the health department at 910-259-1230.
Residents who bring their pets will need to stay in the Cape Fear Middle School shelter. Pet owners are required to present rabies vaccination records. Residents need to bring pet food and water. Please bring pet carriers.
Here’s a suggested list of items to bring to a shelter checklist:
- Clothing for 3-7 days
- Blankets or sleeping bags, cots or air mattress
- Food and medication for service animal
- Daily toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, soap, washcloth, feminine hygiene products)
- Special dietary foods, infant formula
- Identification for each family member
- 7-day supply of medicine in the original bottles if possible
- Cell phone with charger
- Books, games and cards
- Family/friend/caretaker’s emergency contact information
- Written list of all medications with doctors’ names and phone numbers
- Glasses, dentures, hearing aids
- Medical equipment used on a daily- basis (wheelchair, walker, cane, oxygen, catheters, etc.)
- Extra batteries needed for any medical equipment
- Adult diapers or children’s diapers and wipes.
- Food and snacks for 3-7 days.
Pender County Emergency Management will post updates on the Facebook page at facebook.com/penderem and on the website http://www.penderem.com. If you need assistance call the EM office at 910- 259-1210.