WIC (Women, Infants & Children) is a supplemental food and nutrition program. It provides food, breastfeeding promotion and support, nutrition counseling, and access to health services for eligible low-income women, infants, and children. WIC services are provided through the Pender County Health Department.
Who is WIC for?
- Pregnant Women
- Breastfeeding women who have had a baby in the last 12 months
- Non-Breastfeeding Postpartum women (Up to 6 months after birth of an infant or after the pregnancy has ended)
- Children up to their 5th birthday
To be eligible you and your child MUST have:
- Residence/Live in the county
- Household income less than 185% of the U.S. Poverty Income Guidelines. A person who recieves Medicaid, Work First Families Assistance, or Food & Nutrition Services (formerly Food Stamps) automatically meet the income eligibility requirement.
- Have a health risk factor based on:
– Height and Weight
– Blood test for low iron
– Health History
– Diet History
WIC Services Provided:
- Nutritious Foods
- Nutrition Education and Counseling
- Breastfeeding Promotion and Support
- Referrals to Public or Private Health Care Providers and Social Services
WIC Foods Provided:
- Milk (Soy and Lactose-Free option)
- Dried Bean & Peas
- Infant Formula
- Infant Cereal
- Infant Baby Foods (Fruits and Vegetables)
- Canned Beans
- Peanut Butter
- Whole Wheat Breads
- Brown Rice
- Whole Grain Pasta
- Tuna* or Salmon*
- Infant Baby Foods (Meats)*
*For fully breastfeeding women only
- Cash value vouchers for fresh, frozen, and canned fruits and vegetables are available in denominations of $8 for children, $11 for pregnant, breastfeeding and non-breastfeeding postpartum women and $16.50 for fully breastfeeding women of multiplies.
Where is WIC located?
Pender County Health Department
803 South Walker St.
Burgaw NC, 28425
Phone: (910) 259-1230
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor (Available 24 hours)
Fax: (910) 259-5165
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday
8:00am – 5:00pm
15060 US HWY 17
Hampstead, NC 28443
Phone: (910) 270-5002
Fax: (910) 270-2526
Hours of Operation: Every Tuesday and Wednesday
8:00am-12:00pm & 1:00pm-5:00pm