Importance of Flood Insurance

Did you know that flood insurance is required if your property is in a flood zone and your mortgage is with a federally insured lender. To find out if you reside in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) click on this link ( and turn on the flood zone layer under “environment.” Areas in the SFHA are areas that are at high risk for flooding. In high-risk areas, there is at least a 1 in 4 chance of flooding during a 30-year mortgage.

Did you know that homeowners insurance does not cover damage from flooding. The good news is that the Pender County community is a member of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).  Flood insurance is available to homeowners, condo owners, apartment owners, renters and business owners. Typically, there’s a 30-day waiting period from date of purchase before your policy goes into effect.

There are two types of Flood Insurance Coverage:  The NFIP’s Dwelling Form offers coverage for: 1) Building Property, up to $250,000, and 2) Personal Property (Contents), up to $100,000. The NFIP encourages people to purchase both types of coverage. Your mortgage company may require that you purchase a certain amount of flood insurance coverage. More information from NFIP coverage: Summary of Coverage

  • Questions you should ask as a potential purchaser of coastal real estate, (NCREC “Questions and Answers on” Purchasing Coastal Real Estate in North Carolina”).
  • To find out more about flood insurance, contact any licensed insurance agent.
  • Flood insurance is available to almost everyone.
  • Your Homeowners Insurance Does Not Cover Floods ( FEMA “Know Your Risks” brochure).
  • Learn the essentials to flood insurance, including what it covers, what it protects and who it protects at
  • Being insured is one of your best forms of protection.
  • Local Pender County insurance agents can assist with flood insurance questions.
  • Information to help be prepared for hurricanes
Translate »