Chapter 35 Benefits
Dependents’ Education Assistance is a monthly education benefit for spouses, surviving spouses, and children of a permanently and totally disabled veteran.
You may be eligible for Chapter 35 benefits if you fall under one of the following categories:
- Spouse of veteran rated permanently and totally disabled by the VA.
- Surviving spouse in receipt of Dependency & Indemnity Compensation benefits.
- Child of a veteran who is rated permanently and totally disabled due to a service-connected disability or who died in service or died as the result of a service-connected disability.The eligibility period is extended to 20 years from date of death if the death occurred on active duty or if the veteran was found to be permanently and totally disabled within 3 years of discharge from service.
- A child is eligible between the age of 18 (or completion of high school) until age 26. For more specific information contact our office or visit the Dependents Education Assistance website.
- The person who is entitled to Chapter 35 benefits receives 45 months of assistance under this program. A veteran’s spouse is eligible for education assistance for 10 years from the date of permanent total disability notification.