Has your water been cutoff? Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)
• Pender County Department of Social Services will begin taking Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) applications on December 1, 2021.
• The program provides a one-time annual vendor payment to help eligible families pay their heating expenses.
• Households must be responsible for their heating expenses and meet income which is less than 150% of the federal poverty limit and other eligibility criteria.
• Heating bill and verification of ALL household income must be provided.
• Beginning DECEMBER 1, 2021 through DECEMBER 31, 2021. Applications will be taken ONLY for households with an ELDERLY person age 60 and above OR a DISABLED person receiving SSI, SSA, or VA benefits AND receiving services through the Division of Aging and Adult Services.
- Eligible households may qualify to receive an automated payment for the 2021-2022 LIEAP season if a member of the household 1) is age 60 or older or a person with a disability receiving services through the Division of Aging and Adult Services, 2) currently receives Food and Nutrition Services and 3) received LIEAP during the 2020-2021 season. These households will be notified of eligibility in November and do not need to apply for this benefit and do not need to reapply for services.
• JANUARY 1, 2022 through MARCH 31, 2022 – Applications will be taken for ANY household as long as funds are available.
• For eligible households, approval will be based on availability of funds once all application information is received.
• To be eligible for the LIEAP program, a household must:
• Have at least one U.S. citizen or non-citizen who meets the eligibility criteria
• Have income equal to or less than 150% of the federal poverty limit
• Be responsible for their heating cost
How to Apply
Applicants are encouraged to apply by one of the following methods:
Submit a paper application by:
Drop off at agency: 810 S. Walker St. Burgaw, NC 28425
By mail to: P.O. Box 1207 Burgaw, NC 28425
Fax: 910-259-0657 Attn: LIEAP
- Telephone: 910-259-1240
- Online at epass.nc.gov
Applications are available at Pender County Department of Social Services. You can go online to print out forms from the following links below:
English LIEAP Application:
Spanish LIEAP Application: