Protect Your Family
Prepare your family for flooding (FEMA “Know Your Risks” brochure).
- Do not walk through flood waters.
- Do not drive through a flooded area.
- Stay away from power lines and electrical wires.
- Know the effect of each category of hurricane where you live. Click on this link to the National Storm Surge maps
Turn around, don’t drown!
Most flood fatalities happen because people try to drive through deadly waters rather than avoid them. (Source: Federal Emergency Management Agency, 2005)
- Pay attention to barricades. Don’t ignore them by driving past them.
- Do not drive through standing water on roads or in parking lots.
- The average automobile can be swept off the road in 12 inches of moving water, and roads covered by water are prone to collapse.
- Attempting to drive through water also may stall your engine, with the potential to cause irreparable damage if you try to restart the engine.
- If you come upon a flooded street, take an alternate route.